POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Negative division : Re: Negative division Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Negative division
From: gimi
Date: 11 Mar 2003 02:38:07
Message: <3e6d925f$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> The point is that the non-POV-Ray results are plain useless for anything but
> combining mod and div results back together.

that is bullshit.  i won't look for a page to quote
from this time :) , but i bet there are plenty.

or maybe you should look up "modulo calculus" for
yourself.

> However, it might be
> surprising, but the mod and div functions exist for more than just
> mathematical completeness.

yes, i understand this now (Will's explanation was
very helpful for my understanding of povray's use
for div and mod, and why it is a little, um,
"different". ;)

however, i agree with Andrew that it is a bit strange
from a mathematician's perspective.

the only solution would be to use macros for other
implementations, if one needs them, as hardly anybody
would agree if someone asked the pov team to rename,
say, "div" to "symdiv" and add another function..

> Apart from this, I really have no time for this.

i disagree!  ;)

g.

--
Shick's Law: There is no problem a good miracle can't solve.
++ mailto:gim### [at] psicoch ++ http://www.psico.ch/ ++