POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fairy lights (PS. I'M BAAAACK!!!) : Re: Fairy lights (PS. I'M BAAAACK!!!) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fairy lights (PS. I'M BAAAACK!!!)
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 3 Jan 2003 16:51:24
Message: <3e1605dc$1@news.povray.org>
"Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote in message
>  I mean, you can see a fairy lights from
> quite a distance, considering how tiny they are. If I try and draw them
with
> POVRay they'll be smaller than a single pixel... but in the real world
they
> have a kind of "glare" around them which takes up more space and makes it
> easier to see them from a distance (when they're lit!) Is there some
> physical explaination for this?

Well, additionaly to all that has already been said, we benefit from a very
detailed simulation system oft named "reality" which is able to sample each
and every ray for every "pixel" on you retina. Hence, you see lights where
POV has a very great probabilty of seeing nothing because no ray hits the
light (not the light_source point, that is invisible - you can only see its
effects on its surronding, firstly the lamp itself (the glass, ...)).

Povingly,

Philippe