POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : True Area Light Source : Re: True Area Light Source Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: True Area Light Source
From: TinCanMan
Date: 5 Dec 2002 11:18:49
Message: <3def7c69@news.povray.org>
> > I understand what you mean here.  When I set up my point light array for
use
> > as an area light, I simply divide the brightness of the light by the
number
> > of lights.  This may not be entirely corect, so I may have to sit down
and
> > think harder about it in the future. I would think it would depend on
the
> > area involved as well.
>
> It should be correct if the points are evenly distributed, if I'm not
> missing something too obvious to see.

Yes I think it should work too, as it would seem to be the total intensity
of the area light spread over it's components. At first I thought maybe it
was a little too dim, but I suppose if you compare the images (p.b.i) that
the scene lighting seems to be the same overall. It's just the way the
sphere itself is illuminated, and I guess we already should know not to
expect the area light to show the correct object illumination.

-tgq