POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : True Area Light Source : Re: True Area Light Source Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: True Area Light Source
From: TinCanMan
Date: 5 Dec 2002 10:05:57
Message: <3def6b55$1@news.povray.org>
> While shadowing (incoming amount of light) is correct, outgoing amount of
> light get increasingly incorrect as size of light increases in respect of
> illuminated object.
>
> To simulate illumination from an area light, POVRay would have to perform
> the whole illumination calculation for each of the shadow rays used to
test
> for occlusion.

I understand what you mean here.  When I set up my point light array for use
as an area light, I simply divide the brightness of the light by the number
of lights.  This may not be entirely corect, so I may have to sit down and
think harder about it in the future. I would think it would depend on the
area involved as well.

-tgq