POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity flouroescent lighting troubles : Re: Radiosity flouroescent lighting troubles Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity flouroescent lighting troubles
From: Michael Andrews
Date: 28 Nov 2002 07:53:20
Message: <3de611c0$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Rohan,

I haven't been able to get good results using small radiosity 'light'
sources. Even with 1600 samples the source can be missed. Also, because
of the way the samples are taken, the places where the source is hit
tend to be the same size and shape as the source.

To get a better image I had to fiddle with the radiosity code. Now, each
time the code starts taking samples at a point it chooses a random angle
and rotates the sample directions around the surface normal by this amount.

This has the effect of losing the low-frequency noise but gaining higher
-frequency noise, most visible in tight spaces and corners. I think this
is more advantageous than not, but I'll have to produce a patch that
lets the user choose which method to use in a scene ...

I'll post a pair of comparison images on p.b.i and the scene on p.b.s-f
shortly.

Bye for now,
	Mike Andrews.