POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Photons and Media Creation / Reaction : Re: Photons and Media Creation / Reaction Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:13:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photons and Media Creation / Reaction
From: Tom Melly
Date: 15 Nov 2002 12:28:40
Message: <3dd52ec8$1@news.povray.org>
"gregmcd" <gmc### [at] speakeasynet> wrote in message news:3dd40b42@news.povray.org...
> Hey Tom -
>
> Thanks for the note and suggestion. Your suggestion shows how it works and I
> get it, the problem I'm having is doing it in Moray.

BTW one thing to bear in mind with media is that, unlike most things in pov, it
is very scale-dependant.

By this I mean that if you scale all elements in a non-media scene by the same
amount, the scene will appear the same (a sphere of radius 1 viewed at a
distance of 10 units will look the same as a sphere of radius 10 viewed at a
distance of 100 units).

Try playing with the myScale value in the scene below, and note the alternative
line in the media definition that makes the media "scalable"....

// Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer Scene Description File
// File: ?.pov
// Vers: 3.5
// Desc: Basic Scene Example
// Date: mm/dd/yy
// Auth: ?
//

#version 3.5;

#declare myScale = 10;

#declare myMedia =
media {    // atmospheric media sample
  intervals 10
  scattering { 1, rgb 0.03} // this won't scale - as you scale up, the media
becomes more opaque..
  //scattering { 1, rgb 0.03/myScale } //..but this will scale since the media
is thinned.
  samples 1, 10
  confidence 0.9999
  variance 1/1000
  ratio 0.9
}

#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 1.0
}

camera {
  location  <0.0, 0, -50.0>*myScale
  look_at   <0.0, 0,  0.0>
}

light_source {
  0*x
  color rgb <1,1,1>
  translate <40, 80,0>*myScale
}

plane{-z,-50 pigment{brick} scale myScale}

sphere{0,5 pigment{bozo pigment_map{[0 White][1 Black]}} translate x*10 scale
myScale}
sphere{0,5 pigment{rgbf 1} interior{media{myMedia}} hollow translate x*-10 scale
myScale}