POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : cube renderer : Re: cube renderer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:13:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cube renderer
From: hughes, b
Date: 4 Nov 2002 01:40:18
Message: <3dc61652@news.povray.org>
"Rohan Bernett" <rox### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> Yes, I am making a 360 degree panorama. The spherical camera won't be any
> good for what I'm doing though. I have a cube panorama viewer, and it
> requires the input image for the viewer to have six square faces of a cube
> in the image.
>
> |top  |     blank       |
> |front|right|back |left |
> |down |     blank       |
>
> Is it possible to get POV-Ray to combine all 6 views into the one image in
> this arrangement, or do I have to render the views as seperate files, and
> arrange them manually?

Hmmm, yes, it would need to be the 6 views first but then you can have
POV-Ray put them together for the final image by using orthographic camera
projection and a plane with the image_maps placed onto it.

And I guess you could use a 90 degree field of view (gee, I don't know what
90 degrees is in 'angle' number) for the each rendering within that set of 6
to get the image maps, and hopefully the perspective will be worked out by
that cubed panoramic viewer.

Anyway, so basically the idea would be to animate the camera to shift
look_at points to all directions needed using #switch and #range as frame
numbers change from 1 to 6. Then, on the seventh, apply those into a layered
texture (image_map using once keyword so as not to overlap) having each
translated accordingly.

What you can't do is get a single rendering to do this... unless someone
comes up with a mirror trick or something. Well, seems to me that there's a
kind of viewport-patched POV somewhere out there that probably could. I
couldn't say though.
--
Farewell,
Bob