POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Managing Complexity : Re: Managing Complexity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:15:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Managing Complexity
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 23 Oct 2002 16:55:09
Message: <3db70cad$2@news.povray.org>

3db6dd90@news.povray.org...

> Anyway, clearly this doesn't bother anyone else.

Oh now it really does. My main scene files usually have 500-2000 lines
(without meshes) and I often reuse material from previous scenes so keeping
them organised and readable is a real issue.

> So I was just wondering...
> how do you folks build complex scenes who's sources can still be read and
> modified?

1) Comments, lots of them and visible separators between chunks of code
(like objects).
2) Indenting
3) Consistent names for objects, textures etc. For instance, size variables
in the x direction will get named xSomething.
3) Depending on what you're working on, generous use of include files. I'm
more into having everything into the same file now (apart the meshes of
course) but when objects can be autonomous putting them in separate include
files can help keep the chaos in check. .

Apart that, I don't believe in strict rules, it really is scene-dependent.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com