POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : cube renderer : Re: cube renderer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cube renderer
From: hughes, b
Date: 21 Oct 2002 23:38:43
Message: <3db4c843@news.povray.org>
"Rohan Bernett" <rox### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> Your clock method might work, but what if the camera isn't pointing
straight
> ahead (eg, location <10,20,10>, look_at <15,15,0>)? Simply rotating around
> the axis won't work (I tried it manually, and got unworkable results). Is
> it possible to get POV-Ray to generate all the frames and stick them
> together, or do I have to generate the frames, then glue them together
> manually?
>
> Is there any other way to make an all-round-view (other than the fisheye
> camera)?

I'm sorry, I still don't understand the actual plan you have. Is it views of
a object on all sides by looking around it, or of an entire room such as in
a 360 degree panorama? If the latter, a panorama, then have a go with the
spherical camera as described in section 6.4.2.8 of the Scene Help.

Once you have the rendered frames done you must use another program to put
them together, yes. I use CMPEG a lot, an old command-line mpeg encoder (a
GUI front-end exists). Check the POV-Ray links for animation utilities,
there are many, at
http://www.povray.org/resources/

Back to the first thing you asked... look_at should be after any
transformations in the camera statement if you want it concentrated on a
specific place, or use a central vector of the main subject in the scene as
the look_at vector so they match instead. The way you described is like an
amusement park ride where the viewpoint remains fixed in a direction but not
fixed on something. It's a classic misconception and is told of in the FAQ,
section 9.1.2.3  http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/faq/

Bob