POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : cube renderer : Re: cube renderer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cube renderer
From: hughes, b
Date: 21 Oct 2002 01:41:33
Message: <3db3938d@news.povray.org>
"Rohan Bernett" <rox### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> Is there any way to do a cube render automatically in POV-Ray? Sure I can
do
> it manually, but that involves making changes to the scene file,
rendering,
> change, and so on. even after rendering all the frames, I still have to
> stick them together in Paint Shop Pro to get the final image.

Maybe I can field this question, since it doesn't seem too "advanced". This
is really a povray.general or povray.newusers type of question.

I'll take a wild guess and say you must be either wanting to rotate a cube
(box) or gather up six images from six viewpoints. If not, maybe this won't
make perfect sense.

Let's say you wanted to get all 6 views of a cube which has been image
mapped differently on all sides like a photo-cube. The cube would be rotated
six ways according to clock value; or, as below, frame number. I'll use a
simple box in example, without actual 6 images since that takes a different
approach:

#switch (frame_number) // animate using frame_number keyword
#case (1)
box {-1,1
 texture {Image}
 rotate 0}
#break
#case (2)
box {-1,1
 texture {Image}
 rotate 90*x}
#break
#case (3)
box {-1,1
 texture {Image}
 rotate -90*x}
#break
#case (4)
box {-1,1
 texture {Image}
 rotate 90*y}
#break
#case (5)
box {-1,1
 texture {Image}
 rotate -90*y}
#break
#case (6)
box {-1,1
 texture {Image}
 rotate 180*y}
#break
#end

Main thing you're asking is how to animate though. So to get 6 frames put
+kfi1 +kff6 into the command-line, they mean initial and final frame
numbers; or use
Initial_Frame=1
Final_Frame=6
in a INI file, which you then apply via the toolbar Ini button (if Windows
anyway). That will render all six images instead of doing a single
rendering. A clock 0 to 1 is implied by default, meaning each frame advances
clock from 0 at the start to 1 at the end. So were keyword clock used
instead it would be fractions between 0 and 1. Unless, of course, you set
clock to run from 1 to 6 also, same as frames is.

Hopefully I have helped in some way. Or maybe I didn't understand the real
question. If it is about how to animate only, then look up "animation
output" in the Help or have a look at a tutorial here:
http://www.puzzlecraft.com/cm/ClockMod.html
Thanks to Ken Tyler for providing that link earlier elsewhere.