POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Volume-preserving blob : Re: Volume-preserving blob Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Volume-preserving blob
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 13 Oct 2002 14:43:36
Message: <3da9bed8@news.povray.org>
In article <3da9aaa2$1@news.povray.org> , "Slime" <slm### [at] slimelandcom> wrote:

>> I am probably misunderstanding you here because you seem to suggest blobs
>> are _not_ based on exponential functions?
>
> They're based on the function
>
> density = strength * (1-(distance/radius)^2)^2

Yes, yes, because POV-Ray blobs are not the original blobs (Blinn 1982) but
a variation of blobs (Wyvill 1986) and this confuses me every time I think
about blobs.  Essentially all what needs to be done is to implement the Binn
blobs and allow switching between the methods.  Oh, and btw, somebody should
really add complete quadric support...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde