POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Constrained motion : Re: Constrained motion Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Constrained motion
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 1 Oct 2002 10:42:39
Message: <3d99b45f@news.povray.org>
Thanks guys. It seems it's as I thought... at least, if we're talking about
being constrained to a plane.

Now... what happens if my moving particle is contraigned to a sphere? In
other words, there is a mass-less inextensible "string" teathering it to a
fixed point in space. (The force will always be acting in such a way that
the "string" remains taut - there is no possibility of it 'going slack',
which makes things a bit easier.)

If an unconstrained object were acted upon by a resultant force F, it would
accelerate in a path along F. So do I just need to find the nearest curved
path along the sphere? (And gosh, how the hell am I gonna do that? ;-)

Just thought I'd try making my Chaos Pendulum into an actual "penulum" - the
flat view I did was a deliberate simplification.

Thanks.
Andrew.