POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Constrained motion : Constrained motion Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Constrained motion
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 1 Oct 2002 09:51:48
Message: <3d99a874@news.povray.org>
Suppose an object is acted on be several forces at once. The resultant force
is represented by the vector V. Suppose, say, V = <5, -7, 9> So, we can
divide this by the mass of the object and thus discover it's acceleration.

But... suppose the object is contrained to the X-Y plane. (And let's suppose
that whatever mechanism "constrains" it has no friction - impossible but
simpler to compute ;-) What do we do now? Do we just write V = <5, -7, 0>
and continue as usual? Or does something more ellaborate need to be done?
(I'm not worried about the orientation of the object - it's a sphere. And
this sphere is not in any way deformable, so there's no extra complications
there ;-)

Sorry to keep pestering!

Thanks.
Andrew.