POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Request: transform from a rectangle. : Request: transform from a rectangle. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:17:32 EDT (-0400)
  Request: transform from a rectangle.
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 28 Sep 2002 22:43:27
Message: <3d9668cf$1@news.povray.org>
Given four points that define an arbitraryy rectangle,  but at some unknown
position and rotation,  how can I have a transform that will transform any
given object (say a box which shares the rectangle as one of its sides)  to
that position & rotation?

I've tried for about a full man day of programming and came up to a dead
end....

Restating,  I have a pAf,  pBf,  pAb,  pBb,  which represent the position of
four wheels on a railroad that conforms to a wavy isosurface.     I want to
design a train engine or care that fits within a box of this size but then
is transformed out there.

The problem that I ran into was that I inevitably found unwanted "rolling,"
to use an aeronautical term, in the 30-odd  different algorithms that I
tried.