POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Inverse Square Law : Re: Inverse Square Law Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inverse Square Law
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 28 Sep 2002 18:31:36
Message: <3d962dc8$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3d95a3fe@news.povray.org>, orp### [at] btinternetcom says...

> But hang on... wouldn't that mean that the way the force drops off as we
> move away from Q is dependent on our units of measurement?

No.

> Suppose P is 1
> meter from Q. Then we have S / 1 * 1 = S.

When solving physical equations ALWAYS put in the units, instead of just
the numbers.

We now have S / (1m * 1m) = S*1 m^-2 = S*100cm-^2 etcpp.

If you want the force, you probably want it in Newton, that is
1N = 1kg*1m*1sek^-2.

If you use cemtimeters instead of meters when calculating the force your
result will be the same force, but it's unit won't be Newton. If you
convert it to Newton, it will be the same as if you put in meters in the
first place.

> By the way... is the force excerted by a *real* magnet dependent
> on the mass of the magnetic ball?

No, the force will be the same, but not the acceleration of the ball
(since a=F/m).

Lutz-Peter