POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Inverse Square Law : Re: Inverse Square Law Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:14:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inverse Square Law
From: Slime
Date: 28 Sep 2002 11:19:26
Message: <3d95c87e$1@news.povray.org>
> >  For example,
> > gravitational force is F = (G * m(1) * m(2)) / r^2.  Here r is the
> > distance between the two masses, and m(1) and m(2) are the masses of
> > each object.  G is the constant of proportionality, equal to 6.67E-11
> > when the masses are in kilos and the distance is in metres.
>
> Right... So since the Earth's mass is so large, the force of gravity is
more
> or less exactly equal to 9.8006 * m(2)? (Well, at sea level anyway!)

Don't confuse 'g' with 'G'. G is the constant of proportionality for the
above equation, g is what the equation happens to give for acceleration when
r = the radius of the earth.

> Interestingly, that seems to answer another of my questions - if this is
> right, and if magnets are similar, then the force of the magnet would
indeed
> depend on the size of the magnetic ball it's pulling... (Of course, since
> = M * A, that means that at a given distance the acceleration due to the
> magnet is more or less constant... I think! Maybe I'm getting out of my
> depth here 8-|... )

Magnets work differently; it's very similar to the above equation, but the
masses (m1, m2) are replaced with the charges of the magnets (q1, q2) and
the constant is K = 9E9.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]