POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Inverse Square Law : Re: Inverse Square Law Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inverse Square Law
From: Andrew
Date: 28 Sep 2002 09:01:38
Message: <3d95a832@news.povray.org>
You have the right idea about what the inverse-square law means, but...

The P=Q problem is easily solved since P and Q are points, but the
objects in question are not.  If they are spheres, then P and Q
represent the centres, so unless the spheres are infinitely small, then
P and Q can never be equal.

The problem with units arises because the force is *proportional* to,
not equal to, S / vlength(P-Q)^2.  A constant of proportionality is
needed, which obviously depends on the units.  For example,
gravitational force is F = (G * m(1) * m(2)) / r^2.  Here r is the
distance between the two masses, and m(1) and m(2) are the masses of
each object.  G is the constant of proportionality, equal to 6.67E-11
when the masses are in kilos and the distance is in metres.

PS magnets are nasty to work out, as they must have both poles, and
therefore a complicated field.  Use a charged ball to think about
instead - it only has one polarity to worry about!

"Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote in message
> I'm trying to get my Chaos Pendulum scene to work, but it ain't
happening. I
> can't get the math right!
>
> Apparently, both gravity and magnetism work using the "inverse square
law of
> attraction". I don't actually *know* what that means, but I've given
it my
> best guess...
>
> Forget gravity, let's talk magnetism. Suppose I have a magnetic ball
at
> point P, and a magnet of strength S located at point Q (and fixed in
place).
> Now, I recon the force experienced by the ball is in the direction Q -
P,