POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : splines : Re: splines Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:12:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: splines
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 22 Sep 2002 19:21:01
Message: <3d8e505d@news.povray.org>
Fidel viegas <fid### [at] artrecognitioncouk> wrote:
> Is there any macro that supports hermite curves? Does povray support
hermite
> curves? And what are they really good for? Isn't cubic splines enough to
> create any kind of smooth camera or object animation?

The term "cubic" refers to the degree of the equations used to calculate the
spline path.  All the cubic splines (Bezier, Catmull-Rom, Hermite,
Kochanek-Bartels) are just different ways of specifying the inputs for the
spline, and it's not too difficult to perform conversions from one to
another.

My Spline Macro File allows you to define and use cubic splines, with a
choice of input types (including Hermite).  A POV 3.5 compatible version is
available on request, although I intend to review and revise the file to
make best use of POV 3.5's inbuilt spline functions.  You can download the
file and a tutorial from http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax