POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Focal-Blur Insight questions... : Re: Focal-Blur Insight questions... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Focal-Blur Insight questions...
From: Slime
Date: 14 Sep 2002 12:31:25
Message: <3d83645d$1@news.povray.org>
> I've just used a little focal-blur, and I'm just curious:
> How exactly does POV calculate confidence and variance
> values?

Ever taken a class on statistics?

I did, but I forget too much to explain it here. It's interesting, though.

I believe it boils down to taking enough samples so that we are "x percent
confident that the variance from the true value caused by randomness is less
than y" with confidence x and variance y.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]