POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Focal-Blur Insight questions... : Focal-Blur Insight questions... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:25:05 EDT (-0400)
  Focal-Blur Insight questions...
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 14 Sep 2002 09:29:53
Message: <3d8339d1@news.povray.org>
I've just used a little focal-blur, and I'm just curious:
How exactly does POV calculate confidence and variance
values?

I'd expect POV to shoot rays for focal-blur, but what does
it actually do to judge if the pixel-color traced so far is
probably reaalllly close to the exact color? How can
POV be "confident" about that? I guess that variance,
telling in the docs that its a tolerance on "samples taken
so far", just tells POV: "See, the most recent samples all
look pretty much the same, lets stop tracing."
At least something similiar (probably it only compares
samples that went into a very similiar direction to see if
any additional samples would actually change the color
visibly)...

Well, I'm not too sure about all this, so anyone care to
explain to a curious user?

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde