POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : union of unions : Re: union of unions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: union of unions
From: Warp
Date: 10 Sep 2002 13:00:00
Message: <3d7e250f@news.povray.org>
Rune <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote:
>> My point is that it's easier to spot that "something"
>> if it has a peculiar shape, like '{'.

> (1) That's a statement not supported with an objective argument. I
> happen to disagree.

  I don't understand this. If you are told "look for *anything* at this
indentation level", I think that's a bit slower task to do than "look
for a { at this indentation level". With the later you are only searching
for a specific character (which is usually easy to spot) and you can just
visually skip anything else. With the former you can't skip anything, but
you have to visually check everything that could be a candidate for what
you are searching for.

  Also your indentation is more illogical. The starting character of the
code block is completely disconnected from the code block in question,
and could be located virtually anywhere with respect to the code block.
The starting character is also completely and arbitrarily misplaced
with respect to the ending character.
  IMO it's more logical that the starting character of the code block is
always located at the same place with respect to to the code block and
the block ending character.

  When someone posts a povray code showing some problem and I need to
read the code and understand it, usually the first thing I have to do
is to re-indent it by placing the brackets in their proper places.
That way it's a lot easier to see matching pair and, for example, if
an opening bracket is missing or whatever. It's a lot more difficult
to understand the code indented in your way.
  On the other hand, I don't remember anyone complaining that my way is
more difficult to understand. (Of course you could complain as a reply
to this, but I think that would be quite artificial.)