POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : UV-mapping overlapped ? : Re: UV-mapping overlapped ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:25:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UV-mapping overlapped ?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 3 Sep 2002 17:48:31
Message: <3d752e2f@news.povray.org>

3d751704@news.povray.org...
> Basically, think of it as 3d solid mapping that stick to the surface
> when it moves. Most useful for animations of course.

OK I understand better what you mean.
I suppose that for the usual mesh-based modellers and renderers, it's not
really a problem of uv-mapping, but a question of defining the right map by
plotting the right pigment at the right place. I guess that  the various 3D
painting software have a feature that lets the user define a 3D procedural
texture, run it through a 3D object and then create the map accordingly.
Perhaps that's the way it's solved usually, or perhaps it's considered as a
minor issue to be solved by usual 2D mapping techniques... I don't know so I
can't elaborate on this.
Now in the case of procedural mapping done in POV-Ray, such 3D uv coordinate
system would make actually sense for animations like your animated statue
scenario, once a POV-Ray mesh animation feature exists that can take full
advantage of it, that is... Seems a very long shot to me, but well, why not.

G.