POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : UV-mapping overlapped ? : Re: UV-mapping overlapped ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:11:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UV-mapping overlapped ?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 3 Sep 2002 15:06:39
Message: <3d75083f$1@news.povray.org>

3d74f4c1@news.povray.org...
> I was more thinking of clear lines, such as lines in clothes, and lines
> separating clothes texture and skin texture. Making those match up
> completely continuously would seem difficult to me.

Well it's easy, since clothes are by definition made of 2D flat material cut
and folded at the right places... uv maps for clothes look just like regular
cloth patterns.
In hi-res models, cloths and skins are different objects, so there's no
problem here either. Really, uv mapping is not such a complex problem (to be
frank I didn't believe it until I got my hands on obj2pov in 1998).

> I can imagine. One thing I can't understand is the limitation in POV-Ray
> that UV vectors have to be UV (2d) vectors instead of 3d vectors. The
> textures are 3d anyway, even image_maps, and one could easily take
> advantage of 3d procedural textures if 3d coordinates were allowed in UV
> maps. (I know that UV means 2d, but what things are *called* isn't
> really the issue here. I see no practical reason for the limitation.)

The fact is that UV mapping is a surprisingly robust and efficient
technology. The mesh2 format is just an implementation of it that works fine
and is 100% consistent with industry formats like OBJ or 3DS.
Regular procedural pigments works fine with too uv mapping. They're just
taken in the <0,0,0>, <1,1,0> space and are very easy to control. Some
normal{} statements, for instance, are typically difficult to set up on
classic CSG (quilted normal on a curved object anyone ?) but are totally
natural to uvmapping.  Just try it :-)

Btw, what effects do you think that could be done only with 3d UV mapping
(just curious) ?

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com