POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : UV-mapping overlapped ? : Re: UV-mapping overlapped ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:14:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UV-mapping overlapped ?
From: Rune
Date: 3 Sep 2002 13:43:28
Message: <3d74f4c0@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams wrote:
> It's only the maps that are split. The entire model
> (front, back, eyes, hair, teeth and tongue) is a
> single mesh2 object (or single Wavefront OBJ file
> in UVmapper).
>
> In POV, the uv_indices feature is used to manage
> the "jumps" - the situation where one vertex maps
> to more than one position on the UV map.

Ah, of course. Always having used one UV vertex per point vertex in my
own work, I overlooked this this possibillity...

> Wavefront OBJ files don't have the equivalent of
> uv_indices. I think they just declare some
> vertices more than once, because each vertex
> declaration can only correspond to one texture
> locator.

Makes sense.

> The alternative, in such cases, is lots of hard work.
> This leads to situations like that of the wonderful
> new DAZ dragon, where the model is free, but a
> texture map for the model costs $12.97.

Oh, ok. But surely, they must have some clever ways to come around the
problems? I could still imagine a tool that would let you work with
several overlapping texture layers with different UV coordinates, but
which would put it into a single (seamless) layer in the final step of
production. Still hard work of course.

> One trick that's being developed by some members of
> the Poser community at the moment is to arrange for
> the seams to be located in places where they tend
> to be out of sight much of the time.

:)  I guess UV mapping is indeed an advanced skill to master...

Now to figure out how to implement advanced UV mapping in POV-Ray for
shapes with complicated topology made of several different types of
bicubic patches. I do have a few ideas actually, but they will be
difficult to carry out...

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com (updated July 12)