POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : UV-mapping overlapped ? : Re: UV-mapping overlapped ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:24:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UV-mapping overlapped ?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 2 Sep 2002 18:29:06
Message: <3d73e632@news.povray.org>

3d73d492@news.povray.org...
> And also the back and the front of the body I assume? And here, it is
> not just the map that is split up, but the actual mesh object is split
> into several meshes right? Because that would be the only way to make
> those "jumps" in the UV-coordinates as far as I understand.

Not always. For example, the vertices for the "eye" part may refer to
another map that the vertices for the "lips" part, while sharing the same uv
plane.

> Ah, indeed I couldn't imagine what the alternative to that would be. It
> sounds like a rather big limitation though, in cases where you want a
> detailed and non-plain texture covering the whole object.

From a practical point of view it's not such a limitation. It is for
textures that have some regular pattern if you want the pattern to be 100%
continous over the shape (such a checkerboard pattern). Fortunately, for all
practical purposes, those sort of patterns are rarely used. Natural patterns
like skin have a lot of randomness that make seams quite invisible. Man-made
objects are even less of a problem. Personally, I find the stretching /
pinching artefacts more problematic and actually quite visible, even on
production-quality 3D.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com