POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : UV-mapping overlapped ? : Re: UV-mapping overlapped ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UV-mapping overlapped ?
From: Rune
Date: 2 Sep 2002 17:13:54
Message: <3d73d492@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams wrote:
> What happens is that not all of the 2d UV-map is used.
> The front of the body is mapped to part of the texture
> space that's shaped like the front of a body, and the
> back of the body is mapped to a separate area. It's
> quite common for the body to be split into several
> pieces, with parts like eyes, teeth, tongue and hair
> mapping to disjoint regions of the map.

And also the back and the front of the body I assume? And here, it is
not just the map that is split up, but the actual mesh object is split
into several meshes right? Because that would be the only way to make
those "jumps" in the UV-coordinates as far as I understand.

> The usual method is to attempt to blend the textures
> near the seams to something rather plain.

Ah, indeed I couldn't imagine what the alternative to that would be. It
sounds like a rather big limitation though, in cases where you want a
detailed and non-plain texture covering the whole object.

What I had been wondering was if there were smarter techniques invented.
For example I could imagine a feature to layer textures on top of each
other, each texture with a independent set of UV coordinates. That way,
the seams for the different texture layers could be at different places,
and the seams at the lower layer(s) could be covered by the upper
layer(s). But I guess an approach like that would be too much trouble in
most cases, and require too much data (the separate sets of UV
coordinates).

When I get time I'll try experimenting with UV-mapper to get a feel for
the things myself. For now, thanks for the explanations to all who
replied.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com (updated July 12)