POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Truck and trailer : Re: Truck and trailer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Truck and trailer
From: Pandora
Date: 27 Aug 2002 12:10:31
Message: <3d6ba477@news.povray.org>
"Thomas" <tho### [at] gmxnet> wrote in message
> Christoph Hormann wrote:
>
> >BTW, you can also think of it a different way: The two wheels and their
> >axis always move on a circle with it's center somewhere on the axis.
>
> That's what someone here at work suggested as well, but the truck is
moving
> along a spline and I don't think that it is easy to determine the radius
of
> the spline at any given point.

    Then the best way to do it would be the small-step physical simulation
kind of approach that Christoph suggested - you'll need to work out the
direction and magnitude of the movement at the link between the car/truck
and trailer and remember that the car/truck and trailer are fixed distances
from that point, oh, also the trailer will pivot around it's center of
gravity (which you can probably safely assume is at the intersection of two
diagonals of the bounding rectangle of the plan view of the main body of the
trailer (unless it's a really oddly shaped trailer))...

--
Pandora/Scott Hill/[::O:M:C::]Scorpion
Software Engineer.