POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Volcanic sputter : Re: Volcanic sputter Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Volcanic sputter
From: David Wallace
Date: 12 Aug 2002 11:12:56
Message: <3d57d078@news.povray.org>
"hughes b" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
> "David Wallace" <dar### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> >
> > The bright core is in the center (map entry 0) with a mostly clear
> periphery
> > (map entry 1), like fire.  Only the 0.00-0.02 part of the map has an
entry
> > higher than 1; the vast majority, 0.25-1.00, is transparent.  This
should
> > not result in a white sphere.  Actually, the lava jet I am simulating
> > consists of mostly stretched spheres but I need the media right before
> > continuing here.
>
> Yes, what you described you want to do then isn't really what is being
> created by that scene file script though.
>
> spherical uses the map index opposite of what you are saying. 0 is the
> outermost shell and 1 is the innermost core. frequency -1 would reverse
that
> or you need to move the entries around to change it.
>
> Thing is, that transparency--- oops, first please allow me to mention what
> neglected before now. You used a transmit 1 in the density_map and
> transparency has no use there. density is only in the form of the three
rgb
> values.
> Anyway, to go on... Reason I brought that spacious transparent portion up
> before is because the turbulence effectively swirls the media into
oblivian.
> I seriously doubt know the reason for it except that it appears to be a
> quirk with that spherical pattern. I'm not sure at all. I just know that
> pattern, being of only a unit size to begin with, doesn't normally go
beyond
> that unit size. Doesn't tile or repeat or continue outward from a 1 unit
> radius, in other words. So that being the case (hopefully I'm telling this
> right!) it seems to have problems at the surface when the boundry is
> encountered.
>
> But truthfully, I wish I knew why the white-out occurs. In checking on
your
> script I found blue was introduced somehow. Of course rgb <1,1,1> or White
> does contain blue but I'd think it shouldn't come out of the mix when the
> next map entries have none.
>
> Well, that's my observations.

Well, I ditched the spherical for bozo.  I still found that the media was so
bright that it appeared white until I got serious about dimming it:

#declare intLava = interior {
 ior 1.1
 media {
  emission 0.02
  samples 1, 20
  variance 1/1000
  confidence .995
  density {
   bozo
   turbulence 1.00
   omega 0.7
   lambda 1.7
   color_map {
    [ 0.0 rgb <0.0, 0.0, 0.0> ]
    [ 0.1 rgb <0.0, 0.0, 0.0> ]
    [ 0.3 rgb <0.2, 0.1, 0.1> ]
    [ 1.0 rgb <0.4, 0.1, 0.2> ]
   }
   scale 4
  }
 }
}

The size of the spheres has a big impact on the color (larger is brighter).
They still appear a glowing red, which is what I was after in the first
place.