POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Volcanic sputter : Re: Volcanic sputter Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Volcanic sputter
From: hughes b
Date: 9 Aug 2002 16:37:49
Message: <3d54281d@news.povray.org>
"David Wallace" <dar### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message

> The bright core is in the center (map entry 0) with a mostly clear
periphery
> (map entry 1), like fire.  Only the 0.00-0.02 part of the map has an entry
> higher than 1; the vast majority, 0.25-1.00, is transparent.  This should
> not result in a white sphere.  Actually, the lava jet I am simulating
> consists of mostly stretched spheres but I need the media right before
> continuing here.

Yes, what you described you want to do then isn't really what is being
created by that scene file script though.

spherical uses the map index opposite of what you are saying. 0 is the
outermost shell and 1 is the innermost core. frequency -1 would reverse that
or you need to move the entries around to change it.

Thing is, that transparency--- oops, first please allow me to mention what I
neglected before now. You used a transmit 1 in the density_map and
transparency has no use there. density is only in the form of the three rgb
values.
Anyway, to go on... Reason I brought that spacious transparent portion up
before is because the turbulence effectively swirls the media into oblivian.
I seriously doubt know the reason for it except that it appears to be a
quirk with that spherical pattern. I'm not sure at all. I just know that
pattern, being of only a unit size to begin with, doesn't normally go beyond
that unit size. Doesn't tile or repeat or continue outward from a 1 unit
radius, in other words. So that being the case (hopefully I'm telling this
right!) it seems to have problems at the surface when the boundry is
encountered.

But truthfully, I wish I knew why the white-out occurs. In checking on your
script I found blue was introduced somehow. Of course rgb <1,1,1> or White
does contain blue but I'd think it shouldn't come out of the mix when the
next map entries have none.

Well, that's my observations.