POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Isosurface vegetation... : Re: Isosurface vegetation... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface vegetation...
From: hughes b
Date: 8 Aug 2002 20:34:39
Message: <3d530e1f@news.povray.org>
"Pandora" <pan### [at] pandora-softwarecom> wrote in message
>     Ok, this is probably a real stupid idea, but...
>
>     I want to put together a set of macros to generate a wide variety of
> vegetation - from grass right through to flowers, bushes and trees.
>
>     Isofunctions for stem, trunk and branch segments, leaves, flower
parts,
> maybe buds and fruits too...
>     L-systems.
>     Materials.
>     How to pull all these things together into nice, flexible, vegetation
> macros.

Great idea. No idea though about what could be done to pull it all together,
as you said.

My meager knowledge of the POV-Ray isosurface tells me you'd be adding a
bunch of individual "container" objects instead of accumaluating the whole
structure within a single iso.

That wouldn't be so tough I guess, collecting it all based on the container
orientation and size, since the CSG of primitives way of doing such things
is done by tying all the ends into a group too. The isosurfaces could
probably be controlled enough to make contact points since they'd be set
into 3D space as usual (whoa, am I ever making wild guesses!).

Hmmm, just had a thought. Photos of plant or tree textures might be applied
into a function as texture, maybe. You've no doubt been thinking about all
that. I just wonder if someone knows of a way to piece a whole object like a
tree into one iso. To me, that would be fascinating. All I know to do is
clump functions into a homogeneous thing :-) instead of heterogeneous.