POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Making plants : Re: Making plants Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:24:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making plants
From: hughes b
Date: 8 Aug 2002 17:57:24
Message: <3d52e944@news.povray.org>
"Mike Williams" <mik### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote in message
news:iJb### [at] econymdemoncouk...
> Wasn't it Rohan Bernett who wrote:
> >
> >How do I make relatively realistic looking vegetation WITHOUT using third
> >party addons?
>
> 1. Obtain a third part add on.
> 2. Look inside it to see how it works.

Alternatively, long-distance ESP.

Anything I attempted at this sort of thing myself early on was to use image
mapping :-) and "while looping" slices of primitives with rand(). Without
too much know-how a person can manage some interesting vegetation, even if
not always very realistic.

Who was it that tried the media hedge a while back? That's something I had
toyed with too, because it fills a volume of space pretty well without the
need for complex CSG. Of course it's a pattern-only thing and much less
control. Well, for most people, not some of you. I can't name names but many
here would know what I am talking about.

Texture patterns on small scale or distant simple objects is possible, as
you know, just isn't very versatile in 3D like CSG can be. When I made a
Christmas tree a few years ago it was all just spheres and cones in while
loops with randomized rotations and translations. If it hadn't used so much
memory at parse time and rendering were faster I'd have improved on it since
then. I think it must be meshes used to do anything really intensive, or
anything less memory consuming anyhow. Obviously less ray
intersections/checking could help too, I guess, but the inner workings of a
raytracer aren't something I know about beyond the basic concepts.

Oops, sorry, caught myself babbling on and on.