POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Lens flares without third party addons : Re: Lens flares without third party addons Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:22:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lens flares without third party addons
From: hughes b
Date: 5 Aug 2002 05:13:46
Message: <3d4e41ca@news.povray.org>
"Rohan Bernett" <rox### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> TinCanMan wrote:
> >
> >I don't think that this is the point.  Sometimes people (myself included)
> >try to do things just to see if it can be achieved even though they could
> >easily be faked or done with some type of include or 3rd party software,
> >etc.  Usually when I do it, it's not necessarily for any practical scene
> >purposes, but rather academic, to test my POV procedure and coding
abilities
> >and to push the limits of the system.
>
> This is exactly what I am talking about when I made the original post! I
> want to know how to do it mainly for academic purposes. If I just wanted a
> lens flare, I might go and use someone else's addon, but I want to know
how
> to do it myself. And I'm surprised that more people don't want to do this
> as well.

I think they do, you just aren't seeing people jumping to reply I guess. I
was going to reply a few days ago just to say I had attempted some lens
flares, just trying more patterns and such. I've also used the backdrop of a
environment kind of sphere (sky sphere, yet not sky_sphere) for diffusing
sunlight around the Sun.

The thing about previous work by others is that it's often much more
detailed than what you might be doing yourself for just one scene file. I
wasn't sure if you were talking about the creation of a new lens flare
include having multifunctionality or simply a single instance of a lens
flare of a particular design (pattern).

Samuel Benge had shown that using a clear cone or cylinder with specular
highlights and connecting camera to light source can work as a aural glow in
certain situations.