POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Lens flares without third party addons : Re: Lens flares without third party addons Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:28:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lens flares without third party addons
From: Philippe Lhoste
Date: 30 Jul 2002 06:45:57
Message: <3d466e65$1@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> JRG <jrg### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Why not? I want to spend time on it, I don't want anyone to think that
this isn't
> > completely work of mine, I want to be proud of it and achieving it will
make me feel
> > godlike...
>
>   Why is it OK to use POV-Ray's internal functions and patterns, and
perhaps
> even standard include files, but it's not OK to use third-party include
> files? What's the difference?
>   After all, POV-Ray is not made by you, so you can't say that an image is
> completely made by you if it's rendered with POV-Ray.
>   Why using one set of features (made by other people) is OK, but using
another
> set of features (also made by other people) is not?
>   I don't understand.

Good question, no simple answer...
An answer could be: this image can be made with PoV-Ray out-of-the-box, and
I typed everything...

Where to put the line? When is an image completely your? Can you abstract
all the source code you have seen, and that you can copy more or less
consciensouly?
What is the difference between using 3rd party add-ons (effects), 3rd party
model elements (with more or less parameters: doors generators, books
generators, etc.) or 3rd party models (whole building, a vehicle, etc.)?
And if I use a modeler, is it still my image or the modeler's one?...
If I make a beautiful scene, with great sense of composition, harmonious
colors, great pleasure of the eye, but all made with 3rd party add-ons and
models, is it still mine?

For these questions, there is no unique answer. I would answer yes to the
last one. After all, cubists made great works of art from collages.

In the case of Rohan, the difference is the proud of self made scene.
Although by asking help, he somehow blur the purity of his way :-)

Note: I have not this state of mind, and I collect all files that seems
useful on Internet and here :-)

Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)
http://jove.prohosting.com/~philho/