POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity - sunlight through a window? : Re: Radiosity - sunlight through a window? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity - sunlight through a window?
From: John Pallett
Date: 26 Jul 2002 15:45:32
Message: <3d41a6dc@news.povray.org>
Hi guys -

Some more notes -

I was surrounding my entire scene with a gigantic white sphere, not creating
a 'spherical sun'.  The problem, as it turns out, was that the light wasn't
getting scattered around the room enough for it to properly simulate
sunlight coming in a window (which scatters all over the room).  So the
scene consisted of:

- A huge white sphere, ambient 0.5
- A parallel white light (sunlight) (parallel lighting for the sun is good
enough for our purposes)
- A room with a window, all materials set to (ambient 0, diffuse 0.9) so
that they aren't emitting light into the scene
- My camera inside the room

Thanks to everyone for suggestions thus far.  The missing ingredient seems
to have been media, which can be used to scatter light.  What I am doing now
is using media inside my rooms to scatter the sunlight as it comes in the
window and as it bounces around the room.  Very subtle scattering gives me
great results.

I'll post images to PBI once I get something put together that demonstrates
the problem clearly.

Can anyone suggest another way to solve the problem of having the light
coming in the window scatter around the room appropriately?  Note that my
camera points TOWARDS the window, so making the window's wall invisible is
not an option.

JP