POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fast media sampling : Re: Fast media sampling Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:32:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fast media sampling
From: Simon Adameit
Date: 12 Jul 2002 14:57:13
Message: <3d2f2689@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
> I was just looking around www.digitalblasphemy.com and looking at all the
> pictures he has with rays of light shooting through trees.
>
> Now, I'm aware that other programs like lightwave are able to create this
> effect much faster than POV-Ray does. But how do they do it? I'd be
> interested in reading a bit about the algorithm used. Obviously it's not
> just sampling a ray at intervals, because that would be as slow as POV-Ray
> is about it. Does anyone know how it's done with other programs?

I suppose their media can only have constant density and it only works with
meshes, am I right?
Otherwise I wouldn't see a way of doing it that much faster than POV-Ray's
media.
I saw this at a friend of mine who has Cinema 4D and asked him if he could
assign a pattern to the density of the media and he said no. He could only
turbulate it.

Simon