POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fast media sampling : Fast media sampling Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:32:35 EDT (-0400)
  Fast media sampling
From: Slime
Date: 12 Jul 2002 14:21:00
Message: <3d2f1e0c@news.povray.org>
I was just looking around www.digitalblasphemy.com and looking at all the
pictures he has with rays of light shooting through trees.

Now, I'm aware that other programs like lightwave are able to create this
effect much faster than POV-Ray does. But how do they do it? I'd be
interested in reading a bit about the algorithm used. Obviously it's not
just sampling a ray at intervals, because that would be as slow as POV-Ray
is about it. Does anyone know how it's done with other programs?

They must be storing information about the media or something. But still...

And is there a reason why POV-Ray doesn't implement one of these other
techniques?

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]