POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Collision with energy loss : Re: Collision with energy loss Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:30:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Collision with energy loss
From: Rune
Date: 27 May 2002 18:53:44
Message: <3cf2b8f8$1@news.povray.org>
Lutz-Peter wrote:
> How about letting the user specify the ratio
> between horizontal and vertical friction?

That seems to be what people generally suggest. :)
Yes, I've already recoded my system to use this method, and the first
tests look promising.

TinCanMan wrote:
> I also like to assign energy loss in two parts,

> plastic being an absolute value (this keeps the
> ball from bouncing forever as it would if you
> used a pure percentage).

I don't think it matters that the particles keep bouncing forever, when
the bounces get flatter and flatter, so that it is in effect the same as
sliding.

> Also, I have noticed I misstepped a bit in my
> initial explanation. When resolving the momentum
> vectors into x y z components, these are according
> to a local frame of reference aligned to the plane
> of impact, not the global x y z, so I suppose I
> should call them u v w instead, with u being the
> perpedicular vector and v and w being
> (perpendicular) vectors lying on the plane of impact.

That's what I assumed, and I think that only two vectors are needed for
this, the second being the tangential vector.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! :)

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated May 20)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/