POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Collision with energy loss : Re: Sliding / flowing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sliding / flowing
From: Rune
Date: 27 May 2002 14:53:36
Message: <3cf280b0$1@news.povray.org>
Scott Moore wrote:
> If you're trying to keep things simple then maybe you could treat the
> vertical and horizontal energy loss coefficients separately (maybe
> coefficients isn't the right word but I'll use it anyway!) By vertical
> I mean perpendicular to the tangent of the collision point and by
> horizontal I mean the tangent of the collision point. The horizontal
> energy loss is handled by the material's friction coefficient and the
> vertical energy loss is handled by the elasticity coefficient.

Yes, this is what some others have suggested too, and I think I'll use
this approach. :)

> When either component gets below a certain threshold you can
> consider that component to have zero energy - this could stop
> the (near) infinite smaller bounces problem?

Well, the infinite bouncing problem shouldn't be a problem at all when
the perpendicular loss of momentum is greater than the tangential,
because the bounces will become more and more flat, thus being the same
as sliding in effect. A threshold is what I want to avoid, because it
means one setting less for the user to worry about. :)

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated May 20)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/