POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Collision with energy loss : Re: Collision with energy loss Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:32:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Collision with energy loss
From: Rune
Date: 27 May 2002 08:57:02
Message: <3cf22d1e$1@news.povray.org>
TinCanMan wrote:
> When an object collides at angle, only the portion
> of energy perpendicular to the collision vector has
> an effect, while the portion parallel has no effect
> (discounting friction, but that can easily be
> applied if so desired)

That sounds similar to my second idea. It just seems to me that this
would cause the outcoming angle to be very different from the incoming
angle, but maybe that's indeed the case...

> The best way to do this is to split your equations
> into x, y and z vectors, do your conservation and
> then do your conservation of energy equation and
> then use the resulting vectors.
>
> I don't have the equations and such off hand right
> now but I can get them later if you would like.

I would like that very much. :)
I just hope I'll be able to understand them...

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated May 20)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/
POV-Ray Ring:  http://webring.povray.co.uk