POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Collision with energy loss : Sliding / flowing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Sliding / flowing
From: Rune
Date: 27 May 2002 08:51:51
Message: <3cf22be7$1@news.povray.org>
Ok, here's why I'm not satisfied with the third option I proposed.

I want to simulate not just bouncing but also sliding/flowing of
particles. I define flowing as when the particle moves perpendicular
with the surface or almost perpendicular.

When a particle hits a surface with a big incoming angle, it should
bounce, but after some bounces it should eventually begin to slide (or
flow if you want). But if the outcoming angle is always perpendicular to
the incoming angle, then the sliding will never occur, and the particle
will just continue making smaller and smaller bounces until the bounces
get insignificantly small. That is not realistic.

Again see the thread in povray.binaries.images called "Collision with
energy loss", where I have posted a second image.

So somehow the outcoming angle should become a little smaller for each
bounce, but I don't know according to which rules. My second proposal
was a speculation in this direction, but it doesn't seem plausible,
because it would make the outcoming angle be completely different from
the incoming angle, which is not realistic either...

Any ideas how the outcoming (reflected) movement vector should be
calculated?

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated May 20)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/