POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : RC5 and SSE2 : Re: RC5 and SSE2 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:27:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RC5 and SSE2
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 22 May 2002 03:48:56
Message: <3ceb4d68@news.povray.org>
In article <KfnpPGvd4oUpnzF6gIpfPaCyOZVg@4ax.com> , Glen Berry
<7no### [at] ezwvcom>  wrote:

> I know that it's not totally fair to compare RC4 with the new RC5,
> with respect to the new optimizations, but on an AthlonXP 1600+
> system, I have a scene file that renders one second slower with the
> new compile.
>
> RC4 = 56 seconds
> RC5 = 57 seconds

You know, on a multitasking system one second is like nothing.  A measuring
error, not more.

To trace the effect of the speedup you need a scene which uses a lot of noise,
that is for the most part certain textures.  To try benchmark.pov for example
(with a small resolution) will show some differences.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.