POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : cubic splines : cubic splines Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  cubic splines
From: Christopher Johnson
Date: 16 May 2002 19:06:43
Message: <3ce43b83@news.povray.org>
I've been working on a macro to preprocess cubic splines so that you can
specify a specific distance along the spline as opposed to just a function
of time.  I'm running tests on it and would like to know if anyone has
tested chris colefax's macros to measure the error in his distance
estimation.  I just havn't had the time to play around with his spline
macros to test them myself yet.

The way I have been testing my routines is :

Given a spline with any number of control points --->  S
The length of the spline is ---> L

if we wanted to find the point that was 50% of the length i.e. S(0.5)

the error would be  (length of segment from S(0.0) to S(0.5)) - (0.5 * total
length)

I'm interested in your usual statistical values (max,min,mean, and std dev)
along with any parsing speed data.  Any help would be appreciated here, just
if you happen to have some numbers kicking around.  I hope to post the
routine in about a week now that classes are over I can clean them up and
document the thing.

thanks,
Christopher Johnson