POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Brilliance and radiosity : Re: Brilliance and radiosity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brilliance and radiosity
From: Rune
Date: 21 Apr 2002 17:10:15
Message: <3cc32ab7@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
> I think what is happening is that POV uses radiosity
> to compute the ambient light at each point, and ambient
> light has no direction.

No wait a minute. The incoming rays do have directions. It's only the
reflected rays that don't have directions. Thus radiosity samples should
be adjusted with brilliance depending on the direction of the incoming
ray. I see no reason whatsoever why it can't be done. Granted, my
understanding of the radiosity algorithm is limited, but it does already
shade dependent on the directions, or you would get no shading at all.
Since it radiosity already supports shading for brilliance 1, I don't
see why it wouldn't work for other brilliance values.

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Apr 14)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/
POV-Ray Ring:  http://webring.povray.co.uk