POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Brilliance and radiosity : Re: Brilliance and radiosity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:27:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brilliance and radiosity
From: Hugo
Date: 18 Apr 2002 17:37:35
Message: <3cbf3c9f$1@news.povray.org>
> Is brilliance ignored by radiosity by design? When an object
> is lit by ambient source the shading cannot be altered with
> brilliance. I would seem to be illogical that otherwise
> equivalent ambient source and light source shade an object
> differently.

Hmm, I'm afraid a little to step up on your level.  ;o)  What info do I have
to offer? Only personal guessing. You're the light expert. It's true that
brilliance is ignored by radiosity, just as specular highlight is ignored,
and I consider brilliance to actually be a kind of specular reflection.
Better say, an artificial mix between specular (pure reflection) and diffuse
(most wide spread reflection).

So I imagine that brilliance relies on the same formula as specular
reflection, and that formula cannot be handled by radiosity because "rays"
from radiosity are not precise enough. Their direction is ... diffuse.

Please let me know if my answer is wrong.

Btw, with radiosity it's not possible to have an ambient source *equivalent*
to a light source as you said, because the ambient source has to be a lot
bigger in size. Otherwise they aren't "catched" well at all, by objects in
the scene.. But you probably knows this.

Regards,
Hugo