POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : function optimization question : Re: function optimization question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:25:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: function optimization question
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 31 Mar 2002 10:24:09
Message: <3ca72a19@news.povray.org>
In article <3ca5bf52@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   That depends on how you define CISC and RISC.
>   I don't think there are really many instructions, so one could say that
> it's a "reduced instruction set". However, one typical feature of CISC is
> that each instruction takes the same amount of memory and 1 clock cycle to
> execute, which I don't think is the case.

It shows some typical RISC characteristics:  Each instruction takes the same
amount of memory (usually 4 bytes or whatever two shorts in a struct will need
depending on the compiler/platform used) and it is designed as load/store
architecture.  As for execution time, basic instructions offer somewhere
around 1/10 to 1/20 of the target architecture speed.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde