POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : vturbulence in functions? : Re: vturbulence in functions? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: vturbulence in functions?
From: Rune
Date: 28 Mar 2002 15:07:15
Message: <3ca377f3@news.povray.org>
"Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba" wrote:
> > Noise function is wrong ?

Turbulence returns a vector for each point in space. f_noise3d returns a
value for each point in space and thus can't simulate turbulence.

> Is this enough for you ?

I'm afraid not...

Just using some factors, mirrors, etc. together with the noise function will
not give an even distribution of the turbulence, as it will in average be
greater in the 8 corners of a cube.

Besides, turbulence has a level of chaos defined by the number of octaves,
while the noise function has no level of chaos at all. This is not so
important in my case though. The important thing is that I need an even
distribution so that the turbulence is equally strong in all directions.

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/
POV-Ray Ring:  http://webring.povray.co.uk