POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Pov-ray units : Re: Pov-ray units Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:22:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov-ray units
From: Slime
Date: 20 Mar 2002 01:20:53
Message: <3c982a45@news.povray.org>
> But whatever is best for you, the
> important thing is to adjust the camera angle, so the result doesn't look
> like a fish-eye (unless this is desired). My own trial-and-error made me
> decide always to use "angle 48" in ordinary camera statements, as this
seems
> to fit my unit scale.

You know, the scale of your scene should affect the camera angle necessary.
If you change the scale of your scene (including the camera position and
look_at point) uniformly, the scene should look *exactly* the same. (unless
there's media, in which case you have to multiply the density of all your
media by one over whatever factor you changed the scale by.) It's likely
that your angle change would be necessary no matter what scale you use; it's
probably just your preference for the appearance of your scene.

To answer the original question, as people have said, the scale is
arbitrary... when you have empty, undefined space, who cares if the distance
from point A to B is a mile or a millimeter? If you have complete control
over the appearance and size of objects (as you do in POV-Ray), the distance
from A to B is whatever you want it to be. So, choose a scale that will be
most convenient to you.

- Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]
[ http://www.slimeland.com/images/ ]