POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : povray philosophy: groping for the Brick Wall : Re: povray philosophy: groping for the Brick Wall Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray philosophy: groping for the Brick Wall
Date: 19 Mar 2002 13:03:03
Message: <3c977d57$1@news.povray.org>
> I'm already 2/3 of the way there. My code is getting so complex that
> everytime I fix the chin shape, for example, I have lots and lots of
copying
> & pasting to do (skin and hair and teeth all affected).  Adding this kind
of
> modularity would make the character editing more efficient.

You are already talking about macros. So what do you need to copy exactly?
Is the blob modelled manually or by macros?

> I cannot help but feel intimidated by the project, at the idea that my
code
> will simply hit a Brick Wall by overusing some resource in my computer

Well, to decrease the resouces needed (e.g. memory) there are IMO at least
two ways: decreasing details wherever not needed or use a different
technique which can do the same thing but needs less resources for it.

Both is not easy in a late stage of the scene, of course. For example
modelling the thing as a mesh needs a lot less resources even at a high
number of triangles, together with a shorter tracing time. But I don't know
if it is even possible for your object?
By using macros you could adapt the level of detail according to the needs
of the scene....

The only limit I fell over ever was my plant mesh in a 160MB include file.
PoV 3.1g couldn't parse it, MegaPoV could. So I expect to have the same
increased "limit" in 3.5

All the other stuff simply needed memory and time.

Do you have any guestimation about the number of components? Blobs,
cylinders.....

regards
SY