POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : povray philosophy: groping for the Brick Wall : povray philosophy: groping for the Brick Wall Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:26:44 EDT (-0400)
  povray philosophy: groping for the Brick Wall
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 19 Mar 2002 12:20:53
Message: <3c977375@news.povray.org>
How far can one go in creating a complex scene in povray?

For example, the next development of my blob character system may become
very complex. There will be:
-    a head texture macro with variables for hair, teeth, "skin"
-    a head transformation macro
-    a head macro with collection of spheres & cylinders, each ending with a
call to the head texture & transformation macros
-    blobs for hair, teeth, and "whole naked body" which call this head
macro (but with different thresholds)
-    a shirt texture macro
-    an arms & torso macro with spheres, etc, and calls of torso macro
-    the torso macro called by shirt macro and whole naked body macro
-    a union of  hair, teeth, body, shirt, pants blobs
-     this union called with different movement-parameter-inc's and shirt
and skin parameters say a few dozen times in a scene
        or a marching army or a busy city street.

I'm already 2/3 of the way there. My code is getting so complex that
everytime I fix the chin shape, for example, I have lots and lots of copying
& pasting to do (skin and hair and teeth all affected).  Adding this kind of
modularity would make the character editing more efficient.

I cannot help but feel intimidated by the project, at the idea that my code
will simply hit a Brick Wall by overusing some resource in my computer
(fixable: buy a bigger one) or --gasp-- with povray itself.     This *would
be* the grand marvel of computing as a hobby, if the only limitation were my
imagination.