POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : stacked planes method : Re: stacked planes method Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:18:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stacked planes method
From: Jan Walzer
Date: 11 Mar 2002 12:33:34
Message: <3c8cea6e@news.povray.org>
> Hehe, I'm not sure you know what you're doing. The vertical strands of
grass
> in my fast grass trick are an illusion. They're entirely caused by the
> special pattern used, not because of stacked planes. I only use stacked
> planes to mix different shades of strands and to make the grass at the
> horizon a bit fuzzy.

re: Hehe, ...
;) I was 'bout to tell you, that your grass doesn't work well, when
animating ...

As I look at the source now, I'm slowly understanding, how you achive the
effect, and why
it's so fast ...

And in this case, of course, using media is no improvement ...
But I _had_ a quite fast media version of grass ...

I'm sure a more advanced artist would have been able to color it in a way,
to make it
look more real ... (I'm not so good, when it comes, to make the textures
look real) ...

It consisted mainly of an absorbing media-pattern, probably bozo, that was
stretched along y and turbulence <0.5,0,0.5>
It was suitable for mid-distance grass ...
If you had it near to you, you saw that it was media, and to smooth (and
transparent) and
when you had it to far away, it was going to black, as I used absorption

But in mid-distance, it was nice green, it had fuzzy edges, and the ground
was on some
points imaginable ... Another bad thing was, that (again, because of
absorption) you
could only use it in daylight-scenes and with a bright ground...

I thought 'bout using emission or scatter, but this would have been even
more cheating
and is probably not faster ...

But I've not the pressure, to present HQ-works here on that server, as I'm
not such
an artist as you are *g ...

Again, good work ... and thanx for sharing ...